As prepared by Chef Peter Birk of Ray’s Boathouse for his Eat Local for Thanksgiving cooking demonstration at Ballard Farmers Market on November 21, 2010.
- 4T butter
- 2T olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 1# Italian style sausage, crumbled
- ¼ C chopped parsley
- 6 sage leaves, minced
- 3 thyme sprigs, cleaned
- Salt and pepper
- 1C fresh corn bread crumbs
- 8 ea apples
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a kettle, bring about 6 cups of water to a boil, pour over chiles in bowl and let steep for
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and oil together in a saucepan over medium heat and add celery and onion. Stir occasionally until softened, about 6 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add sausage and cook through. Stir in the herbs and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a large bowl and combine thoroughly with the corn bread crumbs.
- Cut off the top third of each apple and scoop out the core, seeds and just enough of the flesh to make room for the stuffing. Divide the stuffing between the apples.
- Transfer the apples to a baking dish. Top each apple with a pat of the remaining butter.
- Bake the apples until they are tender and the stuffing is golden brown, about one hour.